Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fire Update

The fire across the lake appears to be just smoldering now. The fire department went full force on it with at least 2 belly planes, I other plane dropping retardant and one helicopter working on it. It poured last night and the wind is now blowing West so the smoke is away from camp today. There is still a 175,000 acre fire to the South in Minto Flats, but much further away. It felt like a nuclear war had occurred when I woke up this morning, high wind, orange and purple sky and smoke. It felt like I was in Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". I was expecting to have to fend off post-apocalyptic cannibals at any moment. That reminds me of the great Patty Smith song, "Summer Cannibals". There is a great folk song by an artist I can't remember about smoke jumpers dying in a wildfire called "Cold Missouri Waters". I hope I can find that song again, I'll have to ask my pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment