Monday, July 27, 2009

Few days left in camp on to Denali


Wild Iris

I have only a few days left in camp. I'll be flying out to Fairbanks on the 30th or 31st. I'll spend a few days around Fairbanks then off to Denali for two nights and to Anchorage. A very nice birder and local artist has offered to let me stay in her cabin near town. What an amazing offer and it goes to show what a strong community the birding community is! I've certainly hosted my share of travellers in my day but now I got to come up with some more traditional accommodations to repay the non punk birders! I'm not sure how many birders would want to stay in my punk house in the anarchist enclave, however we do have a roof top garden and a moon bounce in the back yard. My Aunt does have a house in Cape May and that is how I've been keeping up the more traditionally adult birder accommodation karma up.

I plan to rent a bicycle while I'm in Fairbanks and try to see a spruce grouse.

I doubt I'll be able to post much until I get back to Philly, and my camera is at home so unless, like out here, other people take pictures then I'll have to do just text posts.

Oh, I heard new info on the bear, it was drinking their beer! No wonder they shot it. Amazing!
I learned today that Alaskans don't lock thier cabins in the bush to let people who get into trouble access to shelter, water and food. Also it is common to leave bung wrenches on fuel drums to help out folks who are stranded without fuel.

I'm so exhausted from catching ducks all day, we work till midnight or two sometime even three then back at in the morning. I'm teetering on the brink of exhaustion and barely get enough sleep to function. Haven't had a day off in almost three months Can't wait to just kick it.

No comments:

Post a Comment