Monday, June 29, 2009

Mew Gull Lunch

Sorry, could not get a photo of this. While boating on "Wacky Duck" lake we heard the mew gulls all up in a commotion. I scanned the sky looking for the raven or bald eagle that usually evokes this response. I was excited to see a juvenile peregrine falcon was the culprit. I've only seen one other peregrine the whole time I've been up here. The only birds of prey we see are harriers, bald eagles and short-eared owls. I'm surprised I haven't seen more raptors. When I glassed the falcon I could see a gull chick struggling in it's talons. I know it's a bit morose, but I love seeing predation in the field.

What's funny is that when a predator takes eggs from a nest it is termed "depredation", then why aren't predators called "depredators"?

No comments:

Post a Comment